Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Silja Tanner's Descriptive Essay


Silja Tanner

ENG 090-166

Van Dyken

18 June 2012



Emerald May



The magnolia tree used to be much taller.  But now as I hugged it with one arm and looked up into its canopy, this tree in the front yard of the house I’d always known seemed just the right size for a teenage girl.  The lowest branch was only up to my shoulders, but it wasn’t always so.  Climbing it now was easy as I found my way to the top of the tree where there was a branch system that made a cradle just right for one as petite as myself.  With joyous familiarity, I rested back upon the branches and centered myself in my world.  May blossoms were looming all around me: those pure white magnolias as large as my head.  Their deep, heady fragrance filled the air, and I was willingly overcome by it.  Languidly, I fingered one of the smooth, dark green, glossy leaves with its fuzzy underside beneath a crown of a magnolia. I knew better now than to actually touch one of the velvet petals, lest the alabaster turn brown. The South Louisiana sky was a deep blue at the zenith that faded to pale turquoise at the horizon.  My cradle faced the south where, only a mile away, the Mississippi river flowed mightily and I took comfort from its strength.  I look to my left where, only five miles away, is Lake Borne and the marshlands which open into the Gulf of Mexico.  Continuing the circle of water, I tilt my head back to look north.  The overflow canal borders my backyard and a few miles beyond that canal lies Lake Ponchartrain like a small sea whose bridge spans 25 miles.  And to the west is a humble canal beyond a small forest with blazing trees at every sunset and no name.  Encircled as I am by such powerful waters, my world is secure.



I now felt rooted again.  My high school life is one of frenzied cacophony, strengthening stresses, and exhaustion.  But now I was ready to go.  The nameless forest to the west had been calling me all through the busy week.  It bids me rest there; it misses me.  It’s just a tiny wood, I know now, but the half square-mile stretch behind nearly every house on the street is simply unfathomable to a little girl, such as I still was.  My side yard marked its eastern border, but the entrance was down the dead end street.  Only fifty paces or so and the asphalt was conquered by the encroaching grass.  This was where the magic began.  The trees grew thickly here where the main trail started; they were both sentinels and the portal.  I plunged into the friendly forest and as I walked, I greeted all the plants who I’m sure were happy to see me, too.  Some of them chided me for being away so long.  The Chinese tallow trees, the canes of Indian gum, elm, and oak all grew densely together and I touched any leaves of theirs within my reach.  There were vines of mirliton, which I didn’t know until ten years later that the rest of the world calls chayote.  My mother and grandmother eagerly harvest this vegetable as well as the blackberries which we sometimes collect together by the bucketsful.   Their brambles were everywhere, winding their way wildly wherever they pleased.  “May is blackberry time,” I sing aloud as I follow the familiar path.



I’m not the only kid to make the woods their playground, though, as evidenced by the Wicca’s circle further off the path in a tiny clearing.  It is believed that ancient spirits live here, having been pushed back by urbanization to this tiny patch of wilderness. I move on to find more friends in the red bud, ash, and pine.  There are saplings in every free space, trying to make the woods even more packed with life.  Rich earth, decaying leaves, and crisp green life are as overwhelming to my senses as the magnolia.  Finally, the bend in the path brings me to my marker on the right: a knotted tallow tree.  I plunge right into the thicket behind the tallow.  There is no path. I’ve made my own, and I make my way over low brambles under branches and around saplings until I come to The Spot.  A towering ash tree hails me happily.  He is criss-crossed with, and surrounded by, blackberry brambles that make a natural arbor.  The construction is low enough so as to fit one sitting teenage girl.  I crawl into it and lean my back against the ash and gently remove some snagged golden hair. 



Here the outside world does not exist.  My noisy siblings and endless schoolwork and activities have not followed me here.  I cannot even remember how or why I found this spot.  It felt like I had always been here.  Though other kids prowled the woods, too, I was assured of my solitude in this natural cave.  The wind blew through the trees making them talk and I wished with all my might to decipher the language.  Though I could not understand the trees, they still dance spiritedly for me, but little of the breeze makes it through to The Spot.  The sun overhead sends down swaying yellow and green light, making emeralds of the tree leaves as it warms my bones through.  There were many ripe blackberries on the bramble above me, enticing me with their rich fruity aroma and so I reach up and pluck a few.   The tartness makes my face pucker.  By the time I finished three or four handfuls, I could make out the babbling of a stream and smell its water.  Perhaps there would be an egret there!   A sudden gust of wind surges through the trees and I will the trees to talk to me, to let me understand their sighs.  The attempt fails, but I got the feeling that the wind and trees are at least fond of me for trying.  So I talk to them, instead. 

It is good to hear my own voice.  My little wood becomes my diary as I work out aloud the knotted thoughts in my head.  A long while after I have finished speaking, I notice that the trees have been calm this whole time – they were listening to me.  I still myself with them, feeling empty, weightless, and clean.  The sun moves slowly until it drops behind the western tree line and the emeralds become long, dark shadows.  “You may go,” the forest tells me, “just come back soon.”  Without ceremony, I wriggle out of my hiding place and lope through the grove and back on to the main path, saying goodbye to the life and magic enclosed by the portal-sentinels.  Then my shoes find asphalt.  Ahead, my grand magnolia awaits me.  She has missed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment